Sunday, May 5, 2013

sunday sweets: rhubarb and strawberry pie

I had every intention of showing some restraint and not baking this weekend.  The sun has been shining and the weather has been absolutely perfect.  I didn't think that I would want to spend a single moment indoors more than necessary.  But then we went to the farmer's market at PSU and there were strawberries and rhubarb everywhere.  My restraint quickly faded away in the light of sparkling berry red hues and I left with a pound of rhubarb and two pints of strawberries.  Oops.



Tomorrow also happens to be our sixth wedding anniversary but we are celebrating today.  The grandparents are watching Clio for us so we get to spend the day living life like a bunch of crazy kids.  Which, for us means kayaking on the Willamette and then getting all gussied up for a fancy pants dinner at Veritable Quandary. Whee!

But I digress.  On to the pie.  I'm going to go ahead and say I intended this pie to be rustic and homey.  But know that when I say, "rustic" what I really mean is that it did not turn out as pretty as I wanted it to and so "rustic" is just a ruse.  My rustic pie turned out to be pretty tasty though, albeit runny*.  It was the first time I had ever tasted rhubarb pie and I have to say that I approve.





Rhubarb and Rhubarb Pie

1 c white sugar
1/2 c flour
1 pound rhubarb, chopped
2 pints strawberries, hulled and quartered
2 tbsp butter
Pie curst (enough for top and bottom crust)

1.  Preheat over to 400 degree F
2.  Mix flour and sugar, add strawberries and rhubarb.  Toss and let sit for 30 minutes.
3.  Pour filling into pie crust and top with a couple the butter (cubed and scattered).
4.  Cover with pie crust.
5.  Cut small holes through crust to let steam out.
6.  Brush with egg yolk and then sprinkle with sugar.
6.  Bake 35 to 45 minutes until golden brown.

*So, following this recipe the pie turned out runnier than I would have liked.  Some of the reviews recommended some alterations to the recipe to thicken it up.  Next time I will definitely add some cornstarch to the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment